Thursday, December 18, 2008

DONE

I finished all my final projects, received all my grades, and am now officially done with my MLIS!

It is sort of a strange feeling to be done with school and have a couple days of free time before I head back to NH for Christmas. I am not used to this. I have been watching a lot of neglected Criterion Collection DVDs that had been sitting on my shelves and setting up a new LibraryThing account (my old one was made specifically for a school project and I wanted to start fresh with a lifetime account). I think I also need to start a seperate blog for music/comics/film related stuff.

I have more items to post from library school. Basically, I want to use this as a portfolio (if need be) as well as a general LIS, Metadata, and Cataloging blog. I would have done this earlier but this week my desktop PC suddenly stopped auto-updating and then crashed. I was able to bring it back from the brink long enough to pull most of my documents off of it and put them on my MacBook. The whole thing is sort of a bummer because I am usually really good about archiving my work but I kept putting it off after my external hard drive broke and I switched to my first Mac.

Lesson learned: ARCHIVE YOUR WORK!!!

Anyway, problem solved for now and I picked up a 320g digital passport because I am sick of extra power cords and wanted something portable. So far so good...

As it gets closer to the end of 2008 it is hard not to reflect on the causalities of the past year. 2008 has been a really hard year for my electronics, which is strange because I NEVER break or lose anything.

R.I.P.
  • Cell Phone (It either broke at the effed up show or when I was texting in the rain outside the club.)
  • Digital Camera (I dropped it on the floor.)
  • Laptop (It is doing better but is sort of old and had some overheating problems.)
  • External Hard Drive (It fell off my pc onto the rug, which is about a foot. Pretty lame.)
  • (almost) iPod Touch (I dropped it in the middle of the street. The protector did its job but it was still pretty horrifying.)
  • TV (It was old and had been moved a bunch of times. It survived college and countless hours of Mario Kart. It still stunk.)
  • VCR (I actually think it can still be fixed and just has a minor tracking problem. Either that or it just hates having to play terrible Italian horror films from the 1970s all the time.)
  • Final Fantasy III (I hit a glitch 25 hours in and had to return it for a new copy. That's what I get for playing Final Fantasy games?)

No comments: