Friday, December 12, 2008

Marlboro College Rice-Aron Library Summer Internship 2K8

This summer I returned to Marlboro College to complete a short cataloging internship where I pretty much got to take over their new zine collection, come up with a way to organize it, and make records accessible online somewhere other than in the OPAC. There was some talk in the library about working with LibraryThing for Libraries sometime in the future (god knows the OPAC could use the face lift) and the library also seemed to be getting into integrating web 2.0/social networking, so I opted to catalog the zines using LibraryThing. It made more sense than working with a spreadsheet, building a database, building a webpage from scratch that fit with the school's standard layout (or in the program they use to manage their website), or any of the other options that had been thrown out. In the next day or so (most likely tomorrow) I will post about working with LibraryThing as a sort of additional online space for a small academic library with a limited web presence, cataloging ephemeral materials using LibraryThing, and some of the issues that arose during the process.

In the mean time I am going to post some quick photos from that trip because, well, I want to.


This is where I left from in Pittsburgh. Doesn't that look nice?

Here's the white vibe. Packed and ready for the 12 hour drive to NH and 2.5 to VT.


Here is the little house I shared with some people I went to college with while working at Marlboro College. They liked to talk about the ecological disasters, hating Bush, comic books, and guns. I counted seven spray painted Anarchy logos while I was in Brattleboro. Awesome...

Here is the little room I stayed in. I brought too much stuff with me but it is sort of hard to plan for a month. I am not sure I watched a single DVD I brought with me.

Here is the front of the Rice-Aron Library (The Rice portion, I believe). That balcony on the second flood is pretty much for smoking and drinking while writing papers in the library late at night (The Rice-Aron Library is is open 24 hours a day).

Here is the front of the Aron portion of the library. I worked in this section. Actually, I also had some Political Theory courses in the classroom of the third floor (top window on the right). Looks nice, doesn't it?


MORE TO FOLLOW...

No comments: