Friday, December 12, 2008

The Rice-Aron Library Zine Collection (2.0)


I'm sure I will post this link again when I post more about the process I went through in dealing with the zines but if you want to check out The Rice-Aron Library Zine Collection I built on LibraryThing you can go HERE. Oh, the above photo is the collection. It has only been there for about a year and was built from donations and funding from Town Meeting (Marlboro College is a democratic community and people can bring projects to be funded to be voted on by the community) so right now it consists of about 400+ zines. I believe that it has since grown but currently does not fall within the library's collection development budget and is entirely maintained by students (this had to be a consideration in my planning). The items that did not get cataloged included the run of Punk Planet (because it was decided that it would take more time than it was worth and could remain browsable), some more ephemeral items (music heavy review zines), and the health/sexuality collection (because it was promoted and listed elsewhere on the website, I believe). In total I scanned and cataloged 335 zines.


Top: Punk Planet, Ephemeral Music Zines, Sexual Health (all 3 are browsable, rather than cataloged. Middle: Personal zines (and a really great collection). Bottom: Poetry and Fiction zines and art and comic zines.

NOTE: Each zine was stamped "DO NOT REMOVE FROM LIBRARY" and had a sticker. The stickers corresponded to the subject heading the zine was tagged with in LibraryThing (tags with a "*" were subject the headings, although the fact they were used to maintain shelf order and browsability a the shelf level made them actually more like classification numbers. Oh well.) The stickers also corresponded to the box where it should be shelved. All students had to do was match stickers. Simple.



Top: Collection Rules and Shelving Instructions. Bottom: How to Use LibraryThing. I made these signs. They looked better in person.


LibraryThing Instructions (again) and To Be Repaired Box.

Top: Political and History zines. Middle: Foreign Language zines, zines related to Marlboro College (like the zine Meg Mott, my Political Theory professor, wrote throughout 90s. Awesome!), and Bikes/Animal Rights zines. Bottom: Prison zines (about prisons, about political prisoners, or by prisoners. maybe also some history zines about radical prison groups) and D.I.Y. zines.

MORE TO COME...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tyler I have some zines for you. Dawn-Marie dmp308@live.com